Museum of Rhodes now occupies the
building that once formed the main hospital
of the Knights. Its construction was begun
in 1440 by Grand Master de Lastic, and finished
in 1489 by Grand Master D’ Aubuson.
It has been used as a museum since 1914
and its exhibits cover periods from the
Mycenaean era to early Christian time, as
well as various typical examples of the
arts of the Knights themselves.
In the main courtyard sits a lion, of Lardos
stone, its forepaws resting on the head
of a bull. On the ground floor there are
displays of ordnance from the Ottomans and
Knights periods, as well as other finds.
The first floor has altars, sarcophaguses
and other objects from Ialysos, statues
and steles from Kamiros and the neighboring
islands. The famous grave stele of Kalliarista,
the statue of Venus, a bathing Aphrodite,
the “Drunken Dionysus” and a
headless statue of Artemis are just some
of its exhibits.